As modern day technology evolves with progression of different systems and innovations in technology, we see quite a lot of movement of documents into the cloud, and this typically is the case with Software-as-a-Service or SaaS platforms. The affordability is the main reason why people are moving to Cloud. Quick implementation, cost-effectiveness, and ability to scale up business solutions in quick time make cloud computing the order of the day. Cloud applications like SalesForce, Office 365, and DropBox allow organizations to move their data into a more flexible resource to lower the operational costs and also to achieve efficient management of data. With cloud adoption, there also comes the risk as well in terms of cloud security. Now, how to secure the data sitting over cloud is the question with most organizations. While moving data into third-party services, data is so much invisible and vulnerable that ought to deploy CASB solutions provided by Cloud Access Security Brokers. Below are the top 5 CASB benefits that can conclude the search for a perfect CASB solution.
1. Shadow IT Solutions: Knowing about what is not known! A CASB solution provides visibility into Shadow IT operations, which helps in identifying risky cloud applications, prevent risky usage of unsanctioned applications, and also identify the most vulnerable users who are at risk. To comply with rules and regulations like HIPAA, one needs to be selective in choosing the cloud applications (sanctioned apps) and define compliance policies and rules according to the workflow. This will ensure compliance and security of data that may be intended to put over the cloud. Those apps which the organizations deem risky can be categorized as unsanctioned apps, and their usage can be restricted. Types of sanctioned apps include “productivity apps” such as Office 365, “File Collaboration Apps” such as Box or DropBox or Google Apps, and “Line of Business Apps” support and marketing apps, R&D apps, etc.
2. Prevent Cyber Threats: Threats can be real or virtual and external or internal. One needs to strengthen cloud security using a CASB solution to mitigate these threats most effectively. People, who are looking to compromise the enterprise data, are always looking to target insecure data networks. By deploying a robust CASB solution, one can mitigate both the external as well as internal threats at ease. It is possible to restrict data access within groups, monitor users’ online behavior in real-time, track individuals or groups prohibited activities, manage BYOD access, and even control external file sharing over the cloud network.
3. Prevent Data Leakage: A robust CASB solution must have a specific module working to prevent data leakage or Data Loss Prevention (DLP). DLP solutions enable the organization to critically enforce and impose restrictions on user activities thereby not providing the chance to malicious intents to carry out their business. The restrictions can be in the form of device restriction, access restriction, restriction to Geo-location, time restriction, etc. Thus, deployment of a CASB solution gives a better control over granting permissions to users of different sets of an organization. This DLP controls both data in motion as well as data at rest.
4. Manage Privileged Accounts & Admin: A perfect CASB solution enables an enterprise to effectively manage and streamline their cloud operations by simply prioritization and management of privileged accounts, and enforcing various permutations and combinations of restrictions as well as permissions to access and manage data in the safest way. The admin mostly has greater privileges and rights, and thus, if an organization perceives a threat inside the admin sections, it will be coined as serious threat as it may transition into greater losses than compared to a user in the bottom of the hierarchy.
5. Control over External File Sharing: Using personal Gmail block feature of the CASB solution, one can impose restriction to the users of enterprise to ensure that they are not able to use their personal Gmail accounts to proliferate confidential and private data of customers. As Gmail is an open source and is simply free of cost, there is this innate tendency of ill-intended people to exploit it at any time in their favor. Thus, this personal Gmail block feature is a crucial feature of a CASB solution that mitigates the threat of data leakage or unwanted proliferation.
These are Top 5 CASB Benefits for an Organization whose adopt it.