What is CASB (Cloud Access Security Brokers)
With all companies having already moved from hard copies to soft copies for data management, the next step is the management of this data and its processing using cloud applications. But for big organizations dealing in finance and healthcare, security and compliance are the two major concerns hampering the adoption of cloud applications, and that is what is CASB and where the CASB comes into the picture.
According to Gartner, Cloud Access Security Brokers (CASBs) are on-premises, or cloud-based security policy enforcement points, placed between cloud service consumers and cloud service providers to combine and interject enterprise security policies as the cloud-based resources are accessed.
Cloud Access Security Brokers (CASB) have a set of well-defined policies to strengthen the security and privacy of data in a cloud-based environment. Also, CASB offers powerful features like data monitoring, real-time surveillance on user activity, well-guarded user access control mechanisms, while ensuring absolute control over operations to safeguard the enterprises from any sort of data leak or breach of confidentiality.
Organizational Benefits of CASB Implementation
- If the enterprise is in possession of bulk confidential data like law firms and finance corporations, then availing a feature that allows granular control of data is highly significant to them. CASB solutions provide the best practices like absolute control over data sharing and downloading by users over the cloud, restricting access to limited groups or individuals, and guarding against data duplication.
- CASB solutions also offer setting up permissions of documents and ensure keeping them protected at all times.
- Monitoring the traffic from on-premises to cloud services can help the enterprises to keep a check on the policy violations, using Shadow IT features.
- Enterprise mobility is aided by the CASB solutions. The CASBs provide data security when downloading sensitive data from the cloud storage to personal devices like mobiles etc.
How Does a CASB Solution Protect Data on the Cloud?
CASB solutions provide data security and visibility, which helps in filling the gaps when an enterprise moves from on-premises based applications to the cloud apps like Google Apps / G Suite, Office 365, Zoho, etc.
The Security Provided by CASB: CASB provides multiple types of security policy enforcement. These include:
- Authenticated access
- Single sign-on
- Data loss prevention or DLP
- IP restriction
- Device restriction and device profiling
- Geographical restriction
- Time zone restriction
- Early Malware detection and prevention
The Visibility Provided by CASB: CASB gives the enterprise visibility into the cloud usage.
- Intercepts and inspects for traffic between the enterprises and cloud platform
- Assists with compliance issues
- Data security policy enforcement using single sign-on and multifaceted encryption while data transfers
- Prevents unauthorized users from accessing the cloud services
Thus, CASB helps in protecting the confidential data from unauthorized cloud access by using activity monitoring through data security policies. CASB efficiently controls the cloud security concerns of the enterprises to a large extent.
CloudCodes – One of the Most Preferred CASB Providers Worldwide
One of the best CASB providers worldwide, CloudCodes is the leading cloud security provider that works as a security-bridge between the cloud service providers and the SMBs using cloud-based technology, by creating value for its own software designs enabling the SMBs to ensure data safety, confidentiality of data, restriction of any data breach, prevention of data theft/leak, whereby, having absolute control over their cloud-based processes in concordance with the regulatory laws and compliance protocols like HIPPA etc., laid by the world authorities.
CloudCodes have been providing the CASB solution to more than 300+ organization across the world. This includes customer from manufacturing, broking, bank, retail, logistics, health and education domain.