Cloud Security Risks Foretold by IT Experts
Enterprises are leaping on to the cloud bandwagon and it comes as no surprise today. That is because cloud storage provides an ever-increasing versatility. These popular and powerful tools meet the growing computing needs of the business houses and get rid of their storage needs while at the same time saving thousands of dollars which would otherwise be required to meet the expenses of the business IT needs. With cloud services offering a plethora of services like affordability, easy usage and remote accessibility, it has high demand among organizations looking for storage solutions. But with the good things comes the obvious disadvantages and cloud services are no different. Using cloud storage and file sharing apps have their own inherent security risks and that is aptly put forward by the IT experts who have forewarned of the impending dangers and cloud security risks in the adoption of these cloud services by enterprises worldwide.
Top 7 Cloud Security Risks
Here we list out some of the cloud security risks that need to be addressed by organizations opting for cloud services
- No Control over Cloud Data: The enterprises have quickly and happily accepted cloud services like Google Drive, Dropbox etc., as a part of their routine business activities, but what they are not aware of is the loss of control over sensitive data. When the data is physically taken out of the office IT premises through the means of third-party file sharing services then there is an imminent risk of data leakage that is much beyond the control of the organization.
- Data Leakages: The organizations are aware that the cloud is a shared resource and it being a multi-user environment, there are chances that the data may be leaked. Also, since it is a third-party service, most of the businesses fear that their data may be at a potential risk of being viewed or mishandled.
- Malicious Insiders: Disgruntled employees in any organization are the main cause for the highest percentage of reported data leaks and it so happens because the companies are in dark about their employee activities. An employee either for money or personal grudge may steal the data. This can be copied to a personal storage device and sold to rivals thus exposing the vulnerable side of using cloud services.
- Security Risks Due to BYOD Work Culture: Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) is something which every company has to adopt to provide flexibility to the employees and hence increase productivity. But with the implementation of BYOD comes the risk of data security through poor passwords and misused or stolen devices. Also, one primary concern in case of BYOD is the difficulty in tracking and monitoring the employee devices without which there is every possibility of a data breach.
- User Credentials in Cloud: The main draw of using the cloud services by organizations is the unlimited storage it offers. But this draw has a drawback too; that data is stored in a shared environment and there is every possibility of data breaches through third parties. Even though there is strong security in the form of user credentials, but the fact is that even the user credentials are stored in cloud. So if the individual users’ password habits are weak, then this may lead to a compromise in the credentials; thus resulting in data leaks and putting the enterprise security at stake.
- Identification Numbers: Passport number, Driver’s License, Patient-Identification number, social security number, credit card number- all these form the PII through which a person can be identified.
- Any Compliance Violations and Other Regulatory Actions: Many of the organizations that store personal customer data fall under the gambit of industry regulations like HIPAA for private health information and FERPA for private student records. It is a must that the concerned organizations follow strict compliance procedures and audits to adhere to the security protocols. But sometimes BYOD implementation puts the security at risk which may have serious repercussions on compliance measures.
How CASB Can Help?
Considering all these cloud security risks, immediate action is needed by enterprises to curtail their ill-effects. CloudCodes CASB solutions have come to the rescue of many such firms, who have deployed customized CASB solutions to combat any such cloud security troubles.