OneDrive security best practices include learning all security concerns related to business purposes. Let’s learn some tips for business as well as personal OneDrive security best practices.
Enterprises are fast adapting to cloud technology and choose Office 365 cloud platform to conduct their businesses. They get started with MS Office Exchange Online and get OneDrive environment for free. For businesses that have already made the switch to OneDrive, there might be challenges of data security, governance, and compliance. Even though OneDrive provides robust security features, there might be some user-based activities that put the confidential data at unknown risk. This is because the users upload some secretive documents on the cloud either intentionally or unintentionally and share it with everyone.
OneDrive Security Best Practices for Business
What is OneDrive? It is a cloud platform where the office-related Word, Excel etc., files are stored and saved. Around the world, a number of enterprises store and process all their data through OneDrive. Like schools, colleges, hospitals, and healthcare providers store their HIPAA-HITECH information on OneDrive. When the data is regulated by international security standards, then there is requirement of data storage purposes and cloud & physical data protection. When the workstation rights are shared amongst many users, this type of scenario breaks the OneDrive security completely. For the billing purpose, Microsoft gives Level 1 compliance with PCI DSS. But for security concerns, Microsoft clearly states that MS Office 365 services are not to be used for storing and transmitting cardholder information. This implies that OneDrive is not to be used by enterprises for storing, transmitting or processing cardholder data. This is the best tip for OneDrive security best practices. Whether it is OneDrive or OneDrive for Business, the security factors remain unique with only one aim; that is OneDrive cloud data security.
OneDrive Sensitive Files that need Protection
There are different data types that need extra protection.
- Finance related information that is covered under PCI DSS
- Personal Health Information (PHI) that is covered under HIPAA-HITECH
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII) like contact address, social security number etc
- Data that is covered under GLBA & FISMA
- Data that is protected by GDPR
OneDrive Security Best Practices for Sensitive Information Protection
- The external file sharing for secretive files is to be strictly restricted.
- The files that contain confidential information are to be protected in its state of rest as well as that of transmission.
- OneDrive cloud security can be practiced by applying the prevention rules of DLP. Thus the files are protected from unauthorized access by imposing appropriate rules and remediation policies.
- The trusted networks have to be whitelisted. The accessing from off-network has to be limited.
- For users who are trying to share any sensitive file outside the perimeter unintentionally, timely notification is to be issued.
- For users, who are no longer working in the enterprise, their access to OneDrive account should be immediately terminated.
- Sharing of confidential files should be with only a specific set of group or individual who will be designated as the authorized users of the file rather than sharing it with every person in the enterprise.
- Any confidential file if saved on OneDrive should compromise of best account credentials. This is the best tip for OneDrive security best practices.
- For organizations that follow the BYOD policy, remember that the devices connected to OneDrive have to fulfill the security and compliance requirements. This is a must if the sensitive information is to remain secure and out of reach of unwanted users.
- Open Wi-Fi network for establishing a secure connection is strictly a no-no.
- The security of the enterprise must be updated with the latest anti-virus and malware software protection.
- The computer system has to be password protected with strong and easy-to-remember passphrases.
Using CASB Solutions Is Amongst the Top OneDrive Security Best Practices
Avoiding security solution means that the enterprise may risk its growth prospects. The content of an enterprise should be continuously monitored and employees should be forewarned of the cloud security risks. Apt security tools are mandatory and deploying a CASB solution is one of the OneDrive security best practices.