In today’s date, there is not even a single firm in this world who can commit that ‘their confidential data is safe from insider threats’. A cybercrime survey concluded that around 50% enterprises experience at least one inside threat incident per year. Depending upon an individual and the type of company, there are lots of variation in this Cyber threat. Intellectual property theft, fraud, sabotage, and espionage are the primary type of insider threats in cyber security. In this post, we are going to share safeguards that should be implemented to protect against attacks by malicious insiders. This will help enterprises to gain guidance on how to protect organizations from insider attackers.
Top 5 Ways To Protect Organization From Insider Threats
- Learn and Secure Your Crucial Data – Initial protection measure says that the insider threat strategy should secure the information, which directly impacts the growth of your company. If the data breach occurs then, confidential business data can be modified, leaked, or any other unpredictable disaster can take place in no time. Sudden disclosing of business crucial content can put their market reputation at high risk.
There are two kinds of critical assets – physical and logical. This comprises of machines, facilities, people, and facilities. It should be the responsibility of the industry’s higher authorities to closely keep a continuous watch on core data at rest or in transit mode.
- Allow Limited Business Data Access – As you see at the airports that certain areas are limited for individuals. The same thing applies in an industry as a safeguard that should be implemented to protect against attacks by malicious insider attacks. Access controls should be located on the places where they are accessed only by authorized persons, including physical and technology locks. These persons will be the one whom the organization trusts and authorities believe that they will never cause any threat in business. Keep an important notice in mind – All workers of the industry should not be permitted to work with all types of business data. Depending on an employee’s performance and dedication to the industry, one should decide what kind of data he or she could be allowed to work with.
For insider threats example – A passenger or a sweeper cannot arbitrarily go inside the gateway, in the same manner, a contractor or employee shouldn’t be given extra access to their simple request. A proper ‘request confirmation’ cycle should be made that comprises of request justification, deep investigation, and authorities confirmation.
- Develop A Formulae for Insider Threat – You can protect organizations from insider attacks vulnerability by adopting specialized measures for content detection, prevention, and sudden action on threat occurrence. This is the perfect time for the development of a mitigation process that deals with malicious insider incidents and unintentional insider threats in cyber security. If an unfortunate situation threat occurs, then this formulae will take defined actions at an instant and stop the occurrence of Cyberattack.
This security measure demands a dedicated IT security team or MSSPs who constantly look that ‘what activities are taking place with business data’. Remember one thing – nothing is more important than data security. It is so because if crucial information gets lost then, all other things left will be just like a showpiece, nothing else. Organizations can take help from managed security service providers who provide Security-as-a-Security. Their business mission and vision are only to secure the customer’s business information. They reduce the burden of cloud data protection, enabling the company’s clients to focus more on the planning of their growth.
- Enforce Data Policies and Controls – This safeguard that should be implemented to protect against attacks by malicious insiders says that a transparent message should be applied to all policies and controls. This will eliminate the chances of inadvertently damaging the enterprise or lashing out at the industry for a comprehended injustice. Companies from any corner of the world should ensure that the policies are well-enough and placed in their correct locations. If cloud security services and procedures are not placed at their actual positions then, they will not work in the way they should. Therefore while enforcing data policies and controls, you should contact cloud security service experts. They will assist you with all the principles that are required to create a secure environment in the business.
- Conduct A Security Awareness Program – This point to protect the organization from insider attacks describes that if there is the absence of communication between authorities, IT security teams, and employees in a firm then, managerial or technical controls will survive for short time. Regular cloud data security training sessions should be organized to convert short-term things into the long-term or forever. These programs should be having malicious and unintentional insider threat detection that are supporting the stable security culture. All employees need to know that insider incidents occur and can lead to severe cause. Along with this, it is essential to learn that malicious insider attackers do not fit a specific profile. Their technical-level capabilities might range from minimal to advance, and physical age could be ranging from late teens to the retirement age. Unfortunately, there is no standard age or profile that describes malicious insider because it’s all about a person’s mindset.
Whether it is inside the organization or outside, nothing is safe. Entire security is in our hands so, never take it to forsake. Sometimes enterprises are so engaged in external threat protection that they forget about the internal ones. So, this guide is released on the web to aware of the IT industry, healthcare industry, and other types of industries that it is also mandatory for organizations to manage insider threat prevention policies.