Explain Security Monitoring in Cloud Computing
Security monitoring in cloud computing, or cloud monitoring is a software and process package. It reviews and monitors online computing resources for achieving an optimal workflow. 24*7 service availability and overall performance of the servers, websites, applications, etc., is ensured by manual/automated monitoring & management solutions. Evaluation of resource levels, program speed, resource availability, quick response time, etc., helps in predicting vulnerability attacks that can be caused in the future.
Security Monitoring Architecture Design in Cloud computing
It is a complicated operation to simultaneously manage web networks and servers. Organizations need to determine the requirements of an automated solution to monitor their online resources. Cloud security monitoring tools are purposely programmed for keeping a track record of things like switch and router efficiency, processor/RAM performance, and hard drive usage. All these tools are available with complete excellence level and, free from vulnerabilities. However, there exist management products that are unable to fulfill the customer’s need.
The next package of the tool comprises of ‘configuration management’, which is mainly for network administrators. This comprises user controls like cloud security protocols and group policies. This kind of application works on the basis of pre-configured instructions. But, on the problem occurrence, these applications give a response in a slow manner. Basically, the problem must be first detected, the policy should be adjusted, and then, modifications must be implemented. Delay in the response time of manual logging and reviewing could slow down the overall utility performance. It is possible to overcome several cloud computing challenges with help of cloud threat monitoring. Cloud operations work like the software in an organized virtual environment. This is the reason due to which applications monitoring and management could be designed into the fabric environment with security.
Cloud Security Monitoring Best Practices
- Separate the Crucial Metrics – Bundle of customized cloud monitoring solutions is present in the market. Refer to the following guidelines to successfully execute this practice of online monitoring system :
- Initially determine the inventory of resources used in your organization
- Map out all the data attributes, which you desire to collect
- Make a mutual decision regarding software that suits you the best
The above-mentioned points help in making things comfortable for employees while implementing a security monitoring strategy. For example – A software developer may desire to learn features of cloud security management and monitoring services in brief because he will try to design the new software with respective security aspects.
- Automate the Monitoring Process – Scripting is one of the essential features of security monitoring in cloud computing. Reporting and monitoring procedures can be scripted to enable system work in an automated manner. It is simple to implement monitoring software because operations carried away on the cloud are virtual. Also, it is possible to automate the logging and red-flag system for alerting purposes. For example – an automated machine can be scripted, which sends an instant alert email to the administrator on detection of unauthorized access.
- Consider Cloud-based Apps Security – Still in today’s date, there exist individuals who believe that their online content is less secure on the cloud. They prefer using conventional IT infrastructure instead of cloud architecture. Such users need to wash out their minds with such kind of useless thoughts. They have to understand that either it is on-premises or off-premises storage, security is required on both platforms. Off-premises architecture renders more features in comparison to on-premises if security is taken as a serious concern. Trending data centers are investing their time and finance in top-tier data protection technology and personnel. It’s just that online information security is a shared responsibility, which requires the equal contribution of cloud service providers and clients. Adopting a cloud service in an organization doesn’t mean that you are free from the stress of organization content protection. Alike on-premises security, enterprises have to take care of information stored on the cloud.
- Use CASB Solution In Your Workstation – Adopting a separate software for security monitoring in cloud computing is not enough. Nowadays, Cyberthreats are increasing like nothing and there is no prediction about the hacker’s next target. This means that each and every cloud service providers along with their clients have to protect online data. Ignoring the security aspect just by keeping monitoring on data is not a solution to the problem. It’s better to achieve a Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB) solution in the business, which renders the package of cloud security solutions. At least, these software packages comprise the data monitoring system with device restriction, time restriction, and access restriction policies. Organizations are recommended to adopt CASB service providers and ensure business confidential information security to a higher extent.
Cloud security monitoring strategy is important to be achieved in today’s scenario. It will help people in determining which employee is working with what type of business data at what time and from which location. Industries are suggested to take safety measures on time before things go unexpected and unmanageable for them.