Information security and technology have a good effect on an organization, but this potential is more with the ‘data governance’. Hence, the implementation of data governance can impact the organization’s operations as well as bottom lines. The data must always be accessible, precise, and useful. This is possible with the implementation of proper data governance. This not just assists with finding how to suitably protect the data as per PII compliance and standards, but it also gives education on the data’s location and quality. The data governance best practices in 2021 are still gaining popularity as with its absence the data can become useless, disordered, and an unsafe liability.
Data Governance Frameworks
In any data governance program, the parameters are defined by its framework. It delivers the guidelines for which all the departments and individuals must be responsible to manage the data of all types. The framework also establishes the procedures which must be followed to handle the data. Lastly, the data governance framework should be defined in tune with the core business goal concerning the purpose of your data. Simply speaking, the framework must improve both – your business and your data.
Top 6 Data Governance Best Practices
- Establishing the Goals: This is important because each company is different and a single data governance framework does not apply to all. In line with this, you should start by finding the ultimate aim which you want to achieve with your business’s data.
- Mapping the Data: This is done to find the reach of data within your company. It is important to know what type of information is present on your server, and how the data does moves within your company. After this mapping is done, you are ready to understand the data better and find ways to improve it.
- Evaluation of the Risks: Understand the types of risks that can relate to your data viz data breach, data corruption, etc. The best practice is to implement tokenization or point-to-point encryption or other security checkpoints in compliance with PCI DSS, GDPR, CCPA, and NACHA.
- Assigning the “Data Controllers”: Here the data controllers are individuals and/or departments who possess the ownership and management of the data. The controllers will ensure 100% implementation of the data governance framework for the best security and swift usage.
- Using Data-Centric Security: This is important to implement data policies that comprise measures taken for the protection and security of the data in terms of design and by default.
- Planning Implementation: It is crucial to gain knowledge that what parts of the data governance framework must be implemented in what order. This will ensure optimum effectiveness in real-time along with the minimized possibility of setbacks/failure.
All the data governance best practices must be a part of the framework which should be strategically and systematically executed. If you are in search of a cloud security solution, then you can take the services of CloudCodes. Rest assured of highly effective cloud security solutions.